An owner’s representative with experience in commercial, industrial, and institutional construction project management. Has worked in both union and open shop markets. Completed a portfolio of projects worth over $600M for some of the Philadelphia area’s leading corporations, financial institutions, utilities, schools, hospitals, non-profit, and charitable organizations. A former contracting firm Vice President with a civil engineering degree. Accessible, experienced, fair, and willing to go beyond expectations to deliver your project on-time and within budget.
Carter M. Young Construction Consulting
Blue Bell, PA
2002 - Present
- Manage, supervise, coordinate multi-million dollar, multiple phased projects that may span several years and involve numerous stakeholders.
- Collaborate and communicate across multi-functional disciplines such as architects, engineers, contractors, project managers, facility departments, school boards, building committees, administrative teams, and executive leaders.
- Save clients hundreds of thousands of dollars by thinking outside of the box and suggesting alternative solutions for different types of project delivery systems.
- Ability to review and critique hundreds of change requests with a quick turn around time.
- Extensive experience completing projects that involve tight deadlines on-time and within budget.
- Achieve high client satisfaction with a goal to make every client a repeat client.
The College of Architecture and the Built Environment - Construction Management
August 2012 - Present
- Instructed Introduction to Construction Project Administration to freshmen through seniors majoring in architecture and construction management.
- Developed curriculum, course outline, syllabus, lectures, quizzes, exams, and interactive classroom projects while acting as a mentor to undergraduate students.
- Shared current industry experience, incorporated construction site visits, and invited guest lecturers from local contracting firms to conduct presentations to the students.
- Mentored and assisted students from a wide variety of demographic cultures through weekly classroom sessions, email, and office hours.
- Counseled students and obtained for them construction related job opportunities, both during their fours years at Philadelphia University and post graduation.
Schaefer & Company, Inc.
Prior to 2002
- Composed multi-million dollar bids for commercial, industrial, and institutional projects that involved all of the architectural and structural trades, as well as the mechanical, electrical, and fire protection work.
- Responsible for frequent visits to project sites, meeting with the field superintendent and the construction foreman to allocate manpower to the site to expedite satisfactory completion of the contract.
- Process all required revisions to the contract plans and specifications; initiate, document details and cost breakdowns as required to present and negotiate all contract change order requests received from the design team and project owner, or required due to unforeseen field conditions.
- Led strategic planning and marketing development for the business, and identified new project opportunities in many varied industries and markets.
- Worked with all project owners and their representatives to proactively resolve issues while maintaining strong relationships with them to insure the award of future projects with the same owner or corporation where their construction program was being handled by a few pre-qualified, pre-selected general contractors.
- Reviewed and managed on a continual basis, all account receivables and account payables to maintain the proper business continuity.
- Attended all pre-bid conferences, pre-award de-scope meetings with the design team and the owner, and all construction phase job meetings and negotiation sessions.
Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering
The American Institute of Architects
Lifetime Member Status
American Society of Civil Engineers
Judge’s Selection Committee Member
Annual Best Project Awards – 2009-2019
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
Joint Committee Member
General Building Contractors Association – AIA/GBCA
The Civil Engineering Honor Society